Godstoppedby

Saturday, October 27, 2012

HURRICANES

Last year it was hurricane Irene. This year, hurricane Sandy is on the way. Last year, I thought often of my friend Irene, who had died of cancer a few years before. This year, I'm reminded of hurricane Gloria and the damage to Long Island. Trees were down everywhere, power outages went on for weeks for some residents, houses and cars were damaged and some were lost. I don't remember the count of lives lost, but I believe it was small.  We lost power for ten days. It was 1985, and the weather was still warm, so although it was challenging, it wasn't too bad. We had fun camping out in the living room during the storm, and going outside in the wonderfully fresh air as the eye of the storm passed over our house. As far as damages, we lost ten trees on our property and in our woods out back, but our house was completely spared. We had plenty of wood for our Pillsbury stove for a long time after that, and we shared some of it with friends. How I wish we still had the wood burner! We took it out when we remodeled the house and moverd to Florida for a year. We thought the house would sell and we'd be Floridians forever. God had other plans for us. But that's a story for another day.

This approaching storm feels like it has the capacity to be another Gloria for Long Island. We've stocked up on essentials and I'm cooking ahead of time for things that I won't be able to make if we lose power for a few days. Cooked meat holds up well in ice chests and makes great sandwiches. I have a gas stove, so I'll have my cooktop, but not the oven as it's electric start. Matches work just fine for lighting burners that are electric start, but are not a possibility for ovens. We have propane for the grill, batteries for the flashlights, candles and oil lamps for lighting. Prayers going up for the storm to downgrade and become smaller; it's four hundred miles wide at this time, and moving at ten miles per hour. Flooding is a serious concern in this storm, as it was in Irene. My family upstate is still in the recovery process from all that they lost last year.

Are you ready? Are you listening? Warnings are all over the different forms of media. For those who can hear Him, God is warning too. Don't get caught short; PREPARE. Don't be afraid, be ready.

Love and peace to you today. I'll check back with you soon.

No comments: