Godstoppedby

Friday, March 7, 2014

IT'A 5:30 A.M AND I'M UP

I'm awake and the sun isn't. It isn't the first time and it won't be the last. As I look out our window, I wonder how high you have to be to see the curve of the earth; and I know you can from the top of the Himalayas, but I don't know how high that is. We're on the 18th floor of the north tower of Stony Brook Hospital. When I look to the north, I can see Connecticut across the Long Island Sound. The cars below us look like Matchbox cars. The lights below show the remains of salt on the roadways and parking lots; a reminder of the storms of this passing winter. I hope there aren't going to be any more. My life has also been a swirling mass of storms in this passing season. I don't like it vey much. I know God is with me, but I don't know why He allows all of this. I trust Him but I wish He would just make it stop. I don't want anyone to try to defend God for how He does things, and I won't defend Him either. The reason is because not one of us truly knows why He does things the way that He does. This is where I learn about really trusting my heavenly father. "...though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..." Psalm 23. The shadow of death, not the real thing. When the enemy comes in like a flood, and wants me to think he is too strong for me, I will turn to God and cry out for what I need and what those around me need.

Today I need strength and peace. Adam will have a pic line placed in his upper arm. This is good and bad. Bad because he has to go through an unpleasant procedure, good because he won't have to be continually stuck for blood draws and new i.v. lines. The pic line goes into vessels that are deeper and larger than the ones used for traditional i.v.lines; blood can be drawn through pic lines, so Adam won't need to be stuck everyday to see how the antibiotics are working. I don't know if they'll allow me to stay with him when they do this procedure. I do know they'll give him medication to calm him and help him not resist what takes place. He needs to be still while they cut into his arm and thread the line into his vein. It will be hard for him, but Adam is resilient, and he always forgives anyone who hurts him. And always smiles at them when they're finished. I learn a lot from Adam.

God will be stopping by in all of this; He always does. In reality, He never leaves.

 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love you Mom

allie said...

Good luck to you both. When I had a pic line it was done in my bed with a sonogram and the nurse was really good. I hope and pray Adam has the same blessings. My prayers are with you.

Kristi said...

I hope they let you stay in the room Aunt Ginnie! Hopefully they will do it right in his room. The nurses who place the PICC lines are experts and are usually very fast - about 15 minutes including preparation. It is a lot different than having a regular central line placed. I am praying for you and Adam and his nurses to let you stay! <3

Ginnie said...

Thanks for the clarification, Kristi. I forgot that PICC lines don't need a cut down. and that it's PICC, not pic. ;) Love you.

Kristi said...

Love you!!!!!